Finding the perfect makeup routine for you
Updated: Jun 13, 2019
Putting on makeup is something that most women do every day! It usually takes me personally about an hour to get ready and that's because I typically choose if my hair is going to look great or my makeup. On average women spend around 55 minutes a day primping! Can you believe that?!
I am a sucker for all of the buzz that is going on about how we spend our time. Usually it's people talking about how much time they spend scrolling though Instagram. But today, I want to talk about our makeup routines! We really don't realize how much of our time is spent getting ready in the morning!
Let me put this into perspective for you. Let's just say that you spend about 30 minutes a day putting on makeup and you do this 6 days out of the week. That's 180 minutes per week, 12 hours per month, and 6 whole days of your year! I'm here today to chat about how you can find the makeup routine that works perfect for YOU and your lifestyle!
What does your morning look like?
As a first step, we need to think about what your morning currently looks like! This can give us a better idea of what you prioritize and what needs to be put up higher on that list to make sure you don't feel stressed out!
Are you running around like a chicken with your head cut off when 6:00 am hits?!
Do you have kids you need to get ready?
Do you hit the gym in the am?
Is Instagram the first thing that gets your attention?
What do you want your morning to look like?
So if you answered those questions above and thinking about your morning already has you sweatin'... maybe you need to do some brainstorming on what you want your morning to look like!
Think about all of the things that you want to get done in a morning. Be realistic with yourself! As much as we would all like to, you can not conquer the world by 8 am. If getting your makeup checked off your list or spending 5 extra minutes cuddling in bed makes you a better person, then make sure to make time for it!
You might find at the end of all of this that you'll need to wake up a bit earlier to get your day started before everyone else. Try this out for a week! You will be surprised how great it feels to have accomplished so much by the time you get to work.
What do you do for work?
Depending on what you do for work will have a huge impact on what your daily routine looks like. If you are a flight attendant and you need to wake up at 3 am, you might have a much shorter and concise routine. If you sit in an office or desk job all day, you might spend a bit more time primping every morning!
Will you need to touch up?
If your job requires a lot of movement and long hours like a chef or a personal trainer then you will most likely need to touch up throughout the day! Not all different types of makeup is great for touching up. When you go to re-apply later, some products will clump, create texture or be uncomfortable to layer!
For example, Liquid lipsticks may last longer, but they are almost impossible to touch up without taking it completely off. And who has time for that?! Using a cream lipstick with a satin or gloss finish will be much more comfortable to wear for long periods of time!
Time Saving Tricks
If you are the kind of girl who is putting on mascara in the car... this ones for you!!
1. Set it all out the night before!!! We hear this time and time again but this seriously helps. If you don't have a place that is strictly for your makeup, it might make it hard to be efficient. Try using something like this makeup case to keep you organized. Then you can set up wherever you are!
2. Delegate, Delegate, Delegate!! If it is not just you in the house that needs to get ready, maybe you can delegate out some of the tasks? Maybe the mornings where you want to have some extra time to yourself, your partner makes breakfast for you two! This gives you an extra 15-20 minutes just for you!!
3. Have a small but hefty makeup bag. We all get bogged down by decision overload! Having fewer decisions to make in your morning will leave more brain space for the rest of your day and will cut your makeup time in half!
Time Saving Products
Sometimes the best ways to shave a few minutes off of your routine is by choosing the products that are easy for you to use! If you are fiddling with a your eyeliner every morning and it stresses you out then maybe it's time to ditch it for something better.
1. Try using a fuller coverage foundation that has a satin finish like the Estee Lauder Double Wear. This will most of the time eliminate your need for concealer which means one less product!
2. Look for products that have multiple uses! Benefit's Benetint is a cheek & lip stain. This product is great for long hour wear and creates the most beautiful finish! I personally use Benefit's Hoola Bronzer as a bronzer and an eyeshadow on days when I'm trying to be quick!
3. We all love a good black eyeliner but sometimes it can be so tricky! Get rid of the liquid liner and opt in for a pencil or powder liner for everyday looks. Try out this MAC comsetics eyeliner. Simply pencil it in against the top lash line and smudge it out using a brush like this! Using the angled edge will help you to create a winged out look like the one below.
so... Who cares?!
Yeah, that's right. I said it!! Who cares if you spend a half an hour putting on your makeup everyday?! If this time to yourself makes you feel more confident, empowered and beautiful then DO IT!
As women, we are pulled in so many different directions everyday. Sometimes life is just about throwing on some music and spending some time by yourself. I hope this helped give you put together a great routine for your needs and I hope next time you think about taking time for yourself you remember that you are worth it!